A new project for 2015 was the Golden Brown Benthic Algae Project. This project continues in 2016. We will update this page with additional information as it becomes available.
On April 27, 2017, Dr. Becky Norris, Three Lake Association, TLA, Water Quality Chair presented the Torch Lake GBA story with findings from research studies performed in 2015 and 2016 with the assistance and guidance of Drs. Pat Kociocek, Rex Lowe and Jan Stevenson. Here are the GBA Mini Symposium Summary Notes. Here is the Mini-Symposium on GBA Group Photo & Names if the participants.
On October 28, 2016, Becky Norris presented information on the Golden Brown Algae (GBA) study to the Freshwater Summit. Here are the slides and her notes exlaining the slides:
On July 14, 2016, university experts assisting us with the study of GBA presented the findings to date and helped us understand this recent phenomenon throughout our waters. The speakers included:
- Dr. Rex Lowe, U of M Biological Station
- Dr. Pat Kociolek U of M Biological Station
- Dr. Jan Stevenson MSU
Here is a PDF of the presentation that was made: Torch lake Presentations 7-14-16
In the spring of 2015, Three Lakes Association (TLA) retained the services of two professors (internationally recognized diatom experts), Rex Lowe and R. Jan Stevenson, to work with TLA’s volunteers to design and conduct an investigation of golden brown benthic algae (GBA) in Torch Lake. Their complete scientific reports, are available here.
- R. Jan Stevenson, Professor, Department of Integrative Biology and Center for Water Sciences, Michigan State University
- With Executive Summary: Exec Summary and 2015 Study of Golden Brown Algae on the Bottom of Torch Lake
- With additional figures: Exec Summary and 2015 Study of Golden Brown Algae in Torch Lake with figures
- Standalone Report: 2015 Study of Golden Brown Algae on the Bottom of Torch Lake
- Figures only: Stevenson 2015 Torch Lake Report figures
- Dr. Rex L. Lowe, Professor Emeritus of Biology, Bowling Green State University and a team from the University of Michigan Biological Station Experiment Research; Dr. Pat Kociolek, Professor of Biology, University of Colorado, and Kristel Sanchez, University of Michigan Graduate Student
In late February, Three Lakes Association was asked to present to the Leelanau Clean Waters Group to update them on our Golden Brown Benthic Algae (GBA) research. A slide presentation was assembled by our Water Quality Committee. We have put the slides together with notes to bring you Watershed 101: GBA: GBA Review Feb 2016
Study Proposal: GBA Study Protocol-3-4-15
These charts were used at a meeting on 2-9-15:
Discussion-Initiation Golden Brown Benthic Algae in Torch Lake MSU mtg 2-9-15